Home / main dish / lightened-up parmesan tilapia

lightened-up parmesan tilapia

I’m having a bit of a puppy issue with Maddie.  You see, 75% of the time when I take her to go for a walk she refuses to go.  The other 25% of the time is when both Marc and I take her and she is (mostly) all for it.  But when it’s just me, she puts her front two feet out, and simply won’t budge an inch off of our yard.  Sometimes I can pick her up and carry her up the block and then she may trot a little, but then most likely she’ll stop and want to turn back home.

The interesting thing is that she doesn’t mind walking around our yard, in fact she loves it.  She would walk circles around our house until I made her stop, and since I hadn’t gotten her to walk much today, that’s what we did.  I’m pretty sure our neighbors think we’re completely crazy now after they saw Maddie and I doing laps, alternating between walking and jogging, around our house.  For 25 minutes.  Oh well.  At least she got her exercise in.  The things we do for our kids dogs…

While we don’t usually eat dinner until 6:30 or 7, tonight I was starving at 5:00.  Even though Marc wasn’t going to get home until 7, I went ahead and listened to my growling stomach and made a dinner that would be quick and filling.  I love cooking tilapia for that exact reason – it barely takes any time to cook!  I based this recipe off a popular allrecipes.com recipe that uses mayo and butter for the Parmesan topping.  Instead I made it much lighter by nixing the butter and using plain yogurt instead of mayo. Even with my healthy changes, this still seemed like an indulgent dish…it was so good!  I ate it with some crispy roasted brussels sprouts (the best!) and had a happy and full belly by 5:30.  
While Maddie won’t go on walks with me, she has agreed to be my food photographer assistant:
Lightened-up Parmesan Tilapia

4 tilapia filets
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
juice from half of a lemon
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp oregano
salt and pepper, to taste


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line baking sheet with aluminum foil then spray with cooking spray.  

Place tilapia filets onto baking sheet.

In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients then divide evenly on top of tilapia.  Bake in preheated over for 12 minutes, then turn on broiler and cook until top is bubbly and golden, about 2-3 minutes.


Join The Conversation
Want More?

Get fast, fresh, and easy recipes delivered right to your inbox.



Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *